How to make your home more secure in 2023
Home security is a vital concern for many homeowners and renters. A home invasion can result in property loss, physical harm, and emotional trauma. Fortunately, there are many ways to improve your home security and deter potential intruders. Here are some tips to make your home more secure in 2023.
home for sale in Egypt
Install a Home Security System
One of the most effective ways to protect your home is to install a home security system. A home security system can detect intruders, fire, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leaks. It can also alert you, a central monitoring service, or first responders in case of an emergency. You can choose between a professionally installed system or a DIY system that you can set up yourself. You can also opt for a smart home security system that lets you control and monitor your system remotely via a mobile app. Some systems also come with security cameras and video doorbells that let you see who is at your door or inside your home.
Lock Your Doors and Windows
Another simple but important tip is to lock your doors and windows whenever you leave your home or go to bed. Burglars often look for easy entry points, such as unlocked doors or windows. You can also reinforce your doors and windows with additional security measures, such as:
- Security hinge pins that prevent your door from being removed from the hinges.
- Long screws that make your door more resistant to kicking.
- Blocking bars that prevent your sliding glass doors from being opened.
- Window stops or moldings that limit how far your windows can be opened.
- Burglar bars cover your windows with metal grates.
- Frosted glass or curtains that block the view of your garage or interior.
Use Lighting and Landscaping
Another way to deter burglars is to use lighting and landscaping strategically. You can install motion-activated lights outside your home that turn on when someone approaches. This can scare away intruders and make them more visible to you or your neighbors. You can also use smart lights that you can control remotely or schedule to turn on and off at certain times.
You can also use landscaping to make your home less appealing to burglars. You can trim any bushes or trees that provide hiding spots or block the view of your windows or doors. You can also remove any flammable materials or debris that could pose a fire hazard.
Get to Know Your Neighbors
One of the best resources for home security is your neighbors. By getting to know your neighbors, you can create a sense of community and trust. You can also ask them to keep an eye on your home when you are away, collect your mail, or report any suspicious activity. You can also join a neighborhood watch program or use a social media app to communicate with your neighbors about local crime or safety issues.
There are many other tips that you can follow to make your home more secure in 2023, such as:
- Checking your homeowners or renters insurance policy to make sure you have adequate coverage for your belongings.
- Storing any hazardous substances, such as chemicals, fuels, or medications, safely and out of reach of children or pets.
- Disposing of any expired or unused medications properly and not flushing them down the toilet or sink.
- Testing your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors regularly and replacing their batteries as needed.
- Getting a dog or making it look like you have one by leaving out dog toys or signs.
- Turning down or off the ringer of your landline phone so burglars don’t hear it go unanswered.
- Keeping your valuables out of sight and not advertising them on social media or in front of delivery people.
- Using a package locker or a smart lockbox to secure your online deliveries from porch pirates.
By following these tips, you can make your home more secure in 2023 and enjoy peace of mind.