The Best Diving Spots in Hurghada
Hurghada is a coastal city in Egypt located on the Red Sea. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country, especially for divers who want to explore the rich and diverse underwater world. Hurghada offers a variety of diving spots, from coral reefs and wrecks to caves and islands. You will find something to suit your taste and skill level, whether you are a beginner or an expert. In this blog post, I will introduce you to some of the best diving spots in Hurghada, featuring photos and videos of coral reefs, wrecks, and marine life. I will also mention some popular dive centers and resorts offering diving packages and courses.
Hurghada is home to many coral reefs, which are the main attraction for divers. The reefs are teeming with life, from colorful fish and corals to turtles and dolphins. Some of the best coral reef dives in Hurghada are:
- Fanadir: This is one of Hurghada’s most prominent and longest reefs, stretching for about 6 km. It is a shallow dive, with an average depth of 12 m and a gentle current. It is ideal for beginners and photographers, as it offers a variety of marine life, such as butterflyfish, bannerfish, snappers, goatfish, moray eels, lionfish, octopus, and more.
- El Fanus: This is a submerged reef system, also known as Dolphin Reef, because of the frequent presence of bottlenose dolphins. It is a shallow dive, with a maximum depth of 18 m and a moderate current. It is suitable for all divers, as it offers stunning scenery of coral formations, caves, and arches and a chance to interact with friendly dolphins. Other marine life seen here includes sea stone & scorpionfishes, morays, and turtles.
- Gota Abu Ramada: This is a small circular reef, also known as The Aquarium, because of the abundance and diversity of fish. It is a medium dive, with a maximum depth of 25 m and a strong current. It is recommended for intermediate and advanced divers, as it offers a challenging and rewarding experience. The reef is covered with hard and soft corals and hosts a variety of fish, such as angelfish, triggerfish, pufferfish, barracuda, tuna, grouper, and more.
Hurghada is also famous for its wrecks, the remnants of ships that sank in the past. The wrecks are fascinating to explore, as they provide a glimpse into history and a habitat for marine life. Some of the best wreck dives in Hurghada are:
- Rosalie Moller: This is a British cargo ship that sank in 1941 after being bombed by German planes. It is a deep dive with a maximum depth of 50 m and a strong current. It is only suitable for experienced and technical divers, requiring special equipment and skills. The wreck is well-preserved and lies upright on the sandy bottom. It is covered with corals and sponges and attracts a lot of fish, such as jacks, trevallies, batfish, lionfish, and more.
- Giannis D: This is a Greek cargo ship that sank in 1983 after hitting the reef of Abu Nuhas. It is a medium dive, with a maximum depth of 27 m and a moderate current. It is accessible for all levels of divers, as it offers different sections to explore. The wreck is broken into three parts and lies on its side on the reef. It is encrusted with corals and anemones and hosts a variety of fish, such as butterflyfish, angelfish, moray eels, crocodilefish, and more.
- Salem Express: This passenger ferry sank in 1991 after hitting the reef of Hyndman. It is a controversial dive, as it was a tragic accident that claimed the lives of hundreds of people. It is a medium dive, with a maximum depth of 30 m and a mild current. It is suitable for intermediate and advanced divers, as it requires respect and sensitivity. The wreck is intact and lies on its starboard side on the reef. Corals and fish surround it, such as surgeonfish, triggerfish, snapper, and more23.
Hurghada is also surrounded by several islands offering a different diving experience. The islands are scenic and secluded and offer a variety of dive sites, from walls and drop-offs to lagoons and gardens. Some of the best island dives in Hurghada are:
- Giftun Island: This large island is about 45 minutes by boat from Hurghada. It is a protected marine area and has several dive sites around it. One of the most popular ones is El Gifton, a horseshoe-shaped reef with a shallow lagoon and a deep wall. It is a medium dive, with a maximum depth of 40 m and a mild current. It is suitable for all divers, as it offers a diverse and beautiful landscape of coral formations, caves, arches, and many marine life, such as barracuda, tuna, Napoleon fish, turtles, and more.
- Shaab Umm Qamar: This small island is about 14 km northeast of Hurghada. It is a remote, pristine dive site with rich and varied marine life. One of the most famous spots in Marsa Abu Galawa is a reef with two pinnacles and a lagoon. It is a shallow dive, with an average depth of 12 m and a gentle current. It is ideal for beginners and photographers, as it offers a chance to see white-tip reef sharks, moray eels, lionfish, nudibranchs, and more.
Property for sale in Hurghada
- Shadwan Island: This is a rocky island located about 50 km south of Hurghada. It is a historical and strategic site, as it was the scene of several battles and conflicts in the past. It has several dive sites, but one of the most interesting ones is Shaab Sharm, a reef with a plateau and a wall. It is a deep dive with a maximum depth of 60 m and a strong current. It is recommended for experienced and adventurous divers, as it offers a thrilling and challenging experience. The reef is home to many pelagic fish, such as hammerhead sharks, manta rays, eagle rays, tuna, and more.
Dive Centres and Resorts
If you are interested in diving in Hurghada, you will need to find a reliable and professional dive center or resort that can provide you with the necessary equipment, guidance, and safety. There are many dive centers and resorts in Hurghada, but some of the most popular and reputable ones are:
- Dive Hurghada: This dive center offers scuba diving, diving courses, liveaboard, and snorkeling in Hurghada. It has a highly experienced and friendly dive team that speaks English, German, Dutch, and Arabic. It also has a modern and comfortable boat that can accommodate up to 25 divers. It offers daily diving trips to the best dive sites in Hurghada and special trips to the Brothers Islands, Daedalus Reef, and Elphinstone Reef.
Apartment for sale in Hurghada
- Scuba Hurghada Diving Center: This dive center organizes amazing daily diving and snorkeling trips to the most beautiful places on the Red Sea for the whole family. It also offers all PADI dive courses, from beginner to professional level. It has a highly experienced and qualified dive team that speaks English, German, Dutch, and Arabic. It also has a lovely boat that can accommodate up to 20 divers. It offers daily trips to the best dive sites in Hurghada and special trips to the Thistlegorm Wreck, Ras Mohammed National Park, and Abu Nuhas.
Real estate for sale in Hurghada
- Steigenberger Aldau Beach Hotel: This five-star resort offers a luxurious and relaxing stay in Hurghada. It has a private beach, a large pool, a spa, a golf course, a fitness center, a kids club, and several restaurants and bars. It also has a dive center called Ilios Dive Club, which offers scuba diving, diving courses, snorkeling, and water sports. It has a professional and multilingual dive team that can cater to all levels of divers. It offers daily diving trips to the best dive sites in Hurghada and special trips to the Salem Express Wreck, Abu Nuhas, and Dolphin House.
Hurghada is a paradise for divers, offering many diving spots, from coral reefs and wrecks to islands and caves. It also offers a variety of dive centers and resorts that can provide you with the best diving services and facilities. Hurghada is the place to go if you are looking for a memorable and enjoyable diving holiday. I hope you enjoyed this blog post, and I hope you will visit Hurghada soon.